Monday, February 20, 2012

We don't eat puppies for different reasons

Last week was me and Denise's first real week eating a whole foods, plant based diet.


Notice I did not say Vegan.


I'm not a big fan of the title, it's become loaded with political meaning.
If you think about it, a vegan could be the nicest person you know. Someone who makes choices that are good for animals, good for their health, and helps support sustainable agriculture.





Instead, when one thinks of A Vegan, one envisions some militant judgmental harpie.

Not a very productive stereotype.

Some of the most well known vegan manifestos are also known for their potty mouths and intolerance.

So when we say, "We're going vegan."
I understand when people hear, "We've lost our mind and now we think we are better than you."

I have been stressing to the few folks we have told that we are not Ideological Vegans.

I'm not sure I'm using the right terminology.




But the reason we are not eating cows is not because they are cute. Cows can be cute, and they can be tasty.
I am starting to disagree about some of the industrial practices that we use to process cows into hamburgers. I think it dishonors the animal.

However, that's not the driving force behind our experiment.



We are in this for our health. If we accidentally save the planet at the same time, cool.

OK, enough philosophizing.
I'm sure you've noticed the pictures of some of the yummy food we've been eating this week.
Especially the cookies! Good stuff.

If this was a better blog, I'd post recipes and talk about the food.

But you are stuck reading this one, so tough noogies.
Denise and Diane should be posting soon, you can ask them about the recipes.

That's all from me for tonight.

Now it's your turn, please leave your comments down below.


Excelsior!

Cliff

3 comments:

  1. And yes, those are the pictures of the actual food we ate as taken by my spiffy new Droid.
    I'd rather have the astromech droid than the bionic, but the data plan was cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guys! Excited and horrified at the same time to hear of your new effort. Isn't Vegan a political group? Perhaps you could help me understand what Vegan is, and how is it different from vegetarian or hippie?

    - Confused but intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vegans don't eat anything that comes from animals. So not only "no meat" but no dairy, no eggs, etc. No honey either, though I think that's a little silly.
    Vegetarian and hippie are fairly synonymous terms, though I guess a vegan is just an angry hippie subset.

    ReplyDelete